Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Poet Speaks in Tweets

Bird Sign in Vienna

Over at High Calling Blogs, I wrote a post called New Media: honks, tweets and sassy talk. Among other things, it discusses the 'poetry of Twitter.'

I was going to skip doing my own poem this week, but then I wondered if I too might find a poem on Twitter. Here it is, a conglomeration of mini-thoughts from me, Brian, Christine, and Marcus...

I'm Following You Now

Thanks, L.L., not
sure how I feel about
chaos and emptiness,
just signed on
to this and
playing with words
is fun. It is, and I wonder

about the Guatemalan gang
member poets, is it
simply for pleasure
they speak and not
for procreation
of chaos and emptiness
or maybe it's what

they do when they
forget to feed the birds—
thank God! or we'd have
to resort to the top song
at funerals (My Way),
and could we say it
had looked into our souls

anywhere near as
deep as the gang members
playing with words, spitting like
mist. God help me, there will
be evidence itchy as a new
tatoo that I know you'll
appreciate. Evidence that

gang members, playing
with words, say what we all feel
every day and don't say.

Bird Sign in Vienna photo, by J Barkat. Used with permission.

Just Twitter Poetry:
Pristine Poetry, on Twitter

Poetry Friday:
Cindy's Mysterious Gentleman
Monica's This Wrath He Bore
Ann's All Things New
Steve's This is Just to Say
Erica's Bend
nAncY's Therapeia
Laure's Not Yet Conceived But Gleaming
Sarah's Twitter poem
Jim's Twitter Poetry
Deb's When Quiet Needs Song
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

You always open my eyes.

The mark of a good teacher.

By chance, are you playing jazz in your classroom?

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Marcus Goodyear said...

That is totally fun.

11:15 AM  
Blogger RissaRoo said...

What a great conversation/poem/song! I have never been on Twitter, but now I'm tempted. Do I need another way to spend my time? No. But another muse? Well...maybe. There's always time for another muse, isn't there?

I agree with Laura...thanks for being a great teacher!

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have not twittered yet
but i am just getting a taste of facebook.

i like the idea of gathering words from different places. it is like going to the farmer's market and coming home with a basket full of assorted finds.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah...like a collage even.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Billy Coffey said...

That was simply amazing.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Every Square Inch said...

Very cool. It takes talent to link Twitter to poetry

8:58 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

This is great :-)

4:20 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

That was fun. :-) It's amazing how much unexpected beauty is woven through ordinary language.

5:02 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Oops! That's the problem with reading several weblogs in different windows all at once ;-) I'm pretty sure the great comment was meant for you; the fun one certainly was.

5:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

after reading at knitting the wind and what sarah wrote using twitter...i came up with a name for this..even though there might already be one.

"twitter pollage"

(poem/collage)

hum...maybe

"twipollage"

nothin better than new words...
i find them fun.

11:43 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

LL, here is the link that you wanted to my twitter poem.

http://knittingthewind.blogspot.com/2009/04/i-know-i-said-no-poems-here-but-this-is.html

Thanks for the idea, it was really great fun to do.

I love nAncY's words!! ;-)

4:34 PM  
Blogger e.o.w. said...

Wow, that was fun! I'm still trying to figure out what Twitter actually is, can't say the poem helped me on that one but it was a great read...

9:44 PM  
Blogger Laurie A. said...

l.l. ...

you rock!!!!!

11:38 PM  
Blogger sojourner said...

Delightful! I'm just now getting to know about twitter but have not taken the plunge....yet

10:29 AM  
Blogger Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

Sweet!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Interesting. Good to be able to put disparate thoughts together into a well rounded whole.

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home