Thursday, April 09, 2009

For Easter: In Lieu of the New York Times

Clover

Where do poems come from?

Sometimes I have a clear vision for a poem and it's simply a matter of pursuing it. Other times I wake up with half a poem in my head and all I need to do is take time to finish it. Then there are those moments of greater discipline when I begin in trust, with an arbitrary image, and hope that a poem will agree to be forged. That's how this poem was created, using the prompt If words were... and an image I settled on without any particular vision for where it might take things: clovers.

Though the poem could be given to any number of people in my life, I eventually saw its potential as the words of God to me (and to you) this Easter... an invitation, yet again, to "taste and see that [he] is good."

'In Lieu of the
New York Times'

If words were
clovers
I’d pluck mine
and lay them
at your doorstep,
retreat to shade
of oak,
watch you become
a child again,
poke past purple
spikes, nip tender
white tips with
teeth, freely sip
raw sugar, lick
your lip.

Clover photo, by L.L. Barkat.

MORE GOOD FRIDAY/EASTER POETRY:
Goodwordediting's Surprised by a Styrofoam Jesus
Marcus Goodyear's unconventional Good Friday poem God Breathed, at Catapult
Jim's Yet Still
Ann's Necessary
High Calling Blogs' RAP: Eating Our Words on Good Friday
Scott's An Easter Poem

MORE ON EASTER:
Byron Borger's Hard Lessons, review at Catapult
High Calling Blogs Bottleneck in the Communion Line
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

LOVE this...it makes me think about what words mean, how they make things real and we have to figure out what to do with that either before or after we put them out there.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhhh... that melted my heart! "clover plucked" I din't know why that's a nice image, but it is!!! perhaps, it reminds me of the palms. being layed at your door significant of being layed down for the King. It's what came to mind. cindy

11:17 AM  
Blogger sojourner said...

What delightful words! Thank you for this early easter gift!

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love clover flowers!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Billy Coffey said...

"retreat to shade of oak, watch you become a child again..."

Love the imagery here.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

What a delightful alternative to the Times. Sweet words, creating beautiful images - a gift that truly blesses. Our words are so powerful. When we use them for blessing, they are truly a beautiful, sweet bouquet.
Thank you for this lovely poem.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

This one got away from me...(how did I miss this?) But am having so much fun reading the poetry-words of others.

Love the title of this one :)

5:12 PM  
Blogger Sharon Goemaere said...

Hi L L
Just stopping by to say hi and thinking of you!Be blessed!Love~Sharon

7:13 PM  
Blogger Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

This is lovely and playful. What a gift.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Now that does remind me of "Taste and see that the Lord is good"!

Yes. What Easter is all about, experiencing life from God.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Scott R. Davis said...

peacei in your life o Christ's mercy.
CHECK OUT my blog at www.scottrdavis.blogspot.com
scott

5:59 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

L.L.,

This is delightful, it made me smile and in reading it I felt joy.... You truly have a gift for generating wonderful feelings with your words.

I'd pluck mine and lay them at your doorstep

I love that picture!

blessings,
Tina
Tina

6:38 PM  
Blogger e.o.w. said...

I feel as though I'm holding this poem in the palm of my hand...

12:24 PM  
Blogger Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

Oh LL - what a lovely poem! I love the imagery of "taste and see" with a young child abandoning to sip the natural sugar out of the clover - I will hold that close to me as I leave now for worship service.

I am always blessed when I come here - I just wish I could come by more often.

A wonderful and blessed Easter!!

He is RISEN!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home