Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Come to the Palace, Spain

The Alhambra

Alhambra Tower

We wind our way through narrow streets... up, up, up. Shadows thicken, trees tower. Scent of roses fills the air. Here is the palace. The Alhambra.

A guide tells us of Charles the Fifth. Ferdinand and Isabella. Others whose names escape me now. Islamic, Renaissance and Baroque art converge in these halls, these courtyards. I gravitate towards life— birds against towers, the cherry tree now full with fruit, vibrant cypress, shadows of curious visitors. I seek curves, openings, views outward and inward... the hills, archways, a remarkably decorative prison cell, ceilings that represent Mohammed's cave vision, tiny windows through which arrows sought enemies.

Once there was music here, feasting, shouts, weeping, loves found and lost, despair, pleasure 'midst gardens and marble set against the brilliant sky and the snow-covered mountains beyond. Once, upon a different time. I lean against stone walls, carved wooden doors, my own small self set against history, a shadow passing through where others walked, danced, limped, embraced, fought before me, once upon a time.

Trees and Tower, Alhambra

View, Alhambra

Mountains, Alhambra

Arrow Port, Alhambra

Into the Courtyard, Alhambra

Column Detail, Alhambra

Prison, Alhambra

Courtyard, Alhambra

Door, Alhambra

The Caves Ceiling, Alhambra

Stair Rail, Alhambra

The Alhambra, Granada, Spain photos by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Breathtaking.... how wondrous for you and family, for us through the photos.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

You are taking us too!
Your words... these pictures...
I must remember to breathe.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Cheri Bunch said...

I LOVE your pictures. They are so amazing. The way that you posted them makes me feel like I am walking alongside you taking it all in, sharing your journey! Thank you for blessing so!

I have a dear friend from Scotland who is in her eighties. She has been all over the world, quite literally. I asked her once what her favorite place in the whole world was and she said Spain.

I was so surprised. I told her that I thought she might have picked Switzerland or somewhere else. To which she replied that Switzerland was too picture perfect. She preferred Spain most of all.

Your pictures are convincing me that perhaps she was right!

blessings,
Cheri

9:08 AM  
Blogger RissaRoo said...

Oh! Beautiful! Thank you for taking us with you in pictures and words.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous heather said...

Beautiful pictures!
I love L'Alhambra--airy, dance-like, a world for fairies.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful, deep feeling, images, a walk through whispers from the past.

12:20 PM  
Blogger beth said...

Beautiful, LL. It must have been a wondrous trip. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us!

9:30 PM  
Blogger SimplyDarlene said...

Ahhh, it's like we came along, peeking out of your pocket, blinking at God's beauty, present at every turn...

Blessings.

10:46 PM  
Blogger sojourner said...

thanks for taking me there

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos. Makes me miss Spain so much. Hope you're having a simply delightful time!

1:57 AM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Wow, what sights. I'm going to have to camp on this blog for awhile. Simply beautiful!

You folks aren't going to forget this one, soon.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home