Thursday, May 14, 2009

Speaking as a Teacup

Roses Teacup

Tomorrow I'll talk about 'voice' in poetry at High Calling Blogs and invite us to try out 'mask' for next week's poetry prompt; that just means taking on the voice of someone or something other than yourself. Think of it as a small exercise in fiction writing, taking on a character...

'Wayfarer'

I remember traveling
in his suitcase, white athletic
socks stuffed in my belly to keep
me from breaking, rocking 'midst
clouds, and your hand's first
touch bringing me to birth
on that wooden table,
and your lips.


Teacup photo by L.L. Barkat.

BOOK GIVEAWAY:
Laura Boggess is giving away a brand new copy of the Norton Anthology's The Making of a Poem. Run on over.

POETRY FRIDAY:
High Calling Blogs RAP: Coming Home to Voice
Sarah's And I tiptoe...
Yvette’s Daughters
Marcus’s Mrs. Moss Dances
Monica’s Drumbeats Feel Like Home
Cindy’s Put Me in, Coach
Sonia’s Moon Talk
Jim’s Silent and Afraid
Laure's Loud with Silence
Claire's Mosaic
GoodWord's Form Follows Function
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is one of my favorite past times.. pretending to be something else. A part of childhood that never left!!! Thanks LL

6:50 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

As the girl who was always certain that everything from dinnerware to cleaning supplies to the family car had feelings, this sounds like fun.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, no poem in me this week, it turned into a post with the same title prompt. A blessing just the same.

I will try again next week.
Looking forward to everyone's words.

deb

12:15 AM  
Anonymous sarah said...

I took up this idea. Not as well as your beautiful poem, but at least it got me writing again this week, so thank you :-) I always used to personify things when I was little, so your poem was a special delight!

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo...

What an intriguing poem.

Plus, I have a teacup exactly like that.

Does it remember...my lips?

10:43 PM  
Blogger Laurie A. said...

touch bringing me to birth...

oh ya.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Bought as is said...

L.L., just in case you wonder, the second [& more to the theme of the prompt] is from the perspective of my camera

12:00 AM  
Blogger bluemountainmama said...

i love the poetry prompts... maybe i'll be able to participate this summer when school is out and i have a little more free time to think and write.

i also want to hear updates on little one's dulcimer playing when you get a chance.

i miss you...

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the inspiration and the invitation to give it a try. Can you picture me smiling just like my 3 year-old when the big kids invite him to play? I'm joining in this week!

Blessings...

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home