Monday, May 25, 2009

The Gift

Gift of Stones

Last week, Ann Voskamp graciously let me tell a story on her blog, about a wrinkled shirt and an unexpected gift... Gifts in Brokenness. I've always been sort of a 'gifts' person, whether you give me a little note of love, a wildflower to put on the counter, or a great book of poetry like Wendell Berry's Given: Poems. (Now there's something to consider... in what sense is a poem 'given'?)

Anyhow, this is partly why I'm excited that High Calling Blogs is doing a book club on The Gift: Creativity and the Artist in the Modern World (Vintage), by Lewis Hyde.

I've already read a few chapters and am fascinated by the nature of gifts in peacemaking, relationship building and community nurturing. For the High Calling's invitation to read, check out Sam's Let's Read: The Gift.

And even if you choose not to read, I hope you'll pop in to the discussion to listen or contribute from time to time. Let that be your little gift to me.

GIFTS RIPPLE OUTWARD:
Jennifer's Please Include Me
Ann's Melinda? Expanding Grace

Stones from my Stepmother, photo by L.L. Barkat.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Okay. First I thought I would sit this one out. Then I read more about the book. I just ordered mine and will try to keep up! I have been having difficulty keeping pace with life of late. Ann's Gifts of Brokenness helped...but am still feeling too fragile to give a contribution.

Still working on my villanelle...

4:39 PM  
Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Tempting invitation, though at the top of my reading list just now is a book coming my way via UPS:

"Stone Crossings." Have you heard of it? ;-)

I will peek in on The Gift discussion, though. Excited to see what unfolds there.

Meanwhile, I will be busy unwrapping gifts in "hard and hidden places."

12:32 AM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Sounds very good, L.L. I wish I had more time to read. I'd make sure I carved out three hours daily, minimum. Of course there's more to life than reading.

I'll have to peak over there and at least listen.

(I do just mention another book on my blog today, that I think is top notch.)

5:14 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Hmmmmm...will have to look into this book and pray about which of many things I am trying to fit into the summer break. I wasn't sure how to do this but I did want to participate in the Friday sharing of poems. Thinking along those lines again has really opened up my heart to things in a new, transformational way. God bless, Stacy

7:26 PM  
Blogger Halfmom said...

I'm definitely a gift giver! I wish I had time to read with you!!

Droping by to let you know I've "migrated" my blogs together finally, so you'll find me at halfmom now.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Billy Coffey said...

I'll have to peek in on the discussion as well. Sounds very interesting.

And much thanks for your visit today. Only you could turn a comment into poetry.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I read about the book and am so excited. I had not yet committed myself to any summer reading, but this one peeked my interest! Looking forward to it!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home