Friday, July 03, 2009

Fourth of July (what else?)

Ceiling Like Stars

Last night we went to see fireworks— stunning art that traces the sky, then is gone. Ashes to ashes! But the lights played in my dreams. How to capture the loveliness of such ephemeral beauty? Poems seemed just the thing, but they did not come easily. No matter, I offer them to you anyway, as a response to our prompt and as a gift from my little life.

"Fourth of July"

Would that the night
could preserve this
sight of stars
and stripes, red green
fuschia blue and spirals
too like Goldilock's
curls all strung with fire,
explosions that launch,
piercing our hearts,
bang! Shots in the dark
expire in less than
a beat of forever.


"Storm During Fireworks"

Up go rockets, burst!
Sizzle, sizzle, consummation
in the clouds. Rain has come.


"After Fireworks"

I gather my girls under black
umbrella. Two sparklers at my
side, I slip into the night.


POETRY FRIDAY:
High Calling Blogs RAP: Andrew Kippley is God's Poem
Carole’s poetry: the poor
Carl’s Torching all my Idols
Cindy’s Living Waters
Jennifer’s Ring of Hope
Jennifer’s ode to Andrew Kippley
Andrew Kippley's Through Dying Eyes
A Simple Country Girl’s Wanting Out, To Run Free
Monica’s The New Me
Joye’s Star Outside My Window
Mom2Six’s Poetry
Marcus' Garden in Drought
Yvette’s In Memory of Freedom
Joelle’s Mowing the Labyrinth
Laura’s Rain
Megan's Stubborn Bluebonnet
Emily’s Walk in the Woods
Ann’s Old Love
Milton’s handmade life
Claire's a pair of crutches
Tony York's When Poetry Goes Bad
Suzy's Rain Drops and Finger Prints Upon My Window

Alhambra Ceiling picture, by L.L. Barkat.

NEXT WEEK's PROMPT: Post your offering by Thursday, July 9, for links and possible feature at High Calling Blogs. This idea is from Susan Wooldridge's Poem Crazy. 1. Find an object and name it 2. describe what it looks like 3. ask it to bring you a quality it possesses. For example, I might choose the fireworks from last night and write...

Fireworks,
red and blue rain,
bring me your laughter,
tossed again to the wind.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Joyeful said...

Thank you so much for the link up!

I've enjoyed your poetry--so colorful and full of imagery!

I'm off to read more!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Joelle said...

This phrase ... "expire in less than
a beat of forever" .... Isn't that so like our lives? Fireworks. An uncle who died too young was born on the 4th of July. Beauty, passion for such an ephemeral moment. Entirely worth it, if you ask me.

7:36 PM  
Blogger GratefulinGA said...

as always i hear, see and feel these moments.
happy 4th LL!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

the word consummation has so many layered meanings in this context.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Marcus Goodyear said...

Regarding your last paragraph: You might write... and you did. Nice apophasis.

3:52 PM  
Blogger in another lifetime said...

"Goldilock's curls all strung with fire".....that is utterly beautiful.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the sparklers at your side... makes me smile

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are a handfull of people that i would like to stay in touch with from my two years of blogging.

i count you in that handfull.

if you are up to exchanging email or letters now and then, it would be nice.

nancygetsyourmail@yahoo.com

9:39 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm always glad when you stop to see me...even when Sam sends you!

I tried my hand at the poetry prompt today. Just put it up over at the Wellblog.

I really enjoyed this one.

:)

9:57 PM  
Blogger Lorrie said...

Love your words!
My attempt at the "object"prompt: http://growupdeep.blogspot.com/2009/07/tambourine.html

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home