Friday, June 05, 2009

Adios, Spain

Granada Palace Door

Before we know it, our time in Spain has come to a close. I'm wanting just one more bowl of olives, another visit to a flamenco cave, mornings of birdsong, cool air that seeps through shuttered windows in Granada.

This place has captured my heart... its art, its people, the hum of a language I've studied but never been immersed in before.

At the airport I surprise myself by beginning to weep; we've spent every day with these translators (Jarit and Maria) and they've charmed us with their warmth, hilarious stories, and brilliance. As Maria is fond of saying, 'Spanish people are passionate,' and I can see this as she also begins to cry.

We walk through security, shoes off, belts off, sweaters in this bin, suitcases on that conveyor belt. Turning one last time, I see Maria wiping her eyes. Who knows if we shall meet again.


Seville World Expo Site

Car-Sized Street

Seville Park

Tower of Seville Sunset

Photos of Granada and Seville, by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Oh the sweet emotions of realizing when God has given us the opportunity to love well and to be loved. Even if only for a time in Spain.
Thank you.

10:31 AM  
Blogger TUC said...

I don't suppose you would be interested in a short-term husband swap next time your hubby is stuck somewhere wonderful... My husband is cute, eats anything, and remembers to put the seat down... hmmm, how 'bout it?

1:58 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Oh, good-byes can be so hard. The harder they are, the more love has been shared. So glad that you had this opportunity. God Bless!

(BTW, posted RAP this week)

3:10 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

International friendships. :)

Is it the language barrier that makes us skip searching for the proper sentence structure and move right into the connections of the heart? Whatever it is, it's a lovely, memorable thing.
The word, hospitality, comes to mind.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

So glad you had such a wonderful time! Yes to Spain; I'd love to go there someday and take it in. And nice that you had such a good bonding experience with people there; hard to say goodbye.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Brad Moore said...

LL - Sounds like a fantastic trip. Those pictures are stunning, and certainly capture another time and place. Isn't travel wonderful?

3:15 PM  
Blogger kirsten said...

sounds like a fantastic trip, filled with warmth & beauty. thank you for the glimpse into something new.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Sharon Goemaere said...

Thanks LL for sharing so beautifully about your travels abroad.What a gift to be able to do this!Love~Sharon

8:05 PM  
Blogger elaine @ peace for the journey said...

What a journey you have made...

I imagine you'll spend the better part of your "next" processing it and storing it up for further reflection.

A rich gift to your soul.

peace~elaine

9:42 PM  
Blogger sojourner said...

i very much want to go there but cannot convince my Beloved ;o( therefore, until he becomes convinced i will treasure the sharing of the visions from your trip - i really like the door in this post and the portal of the post before it - they would have gone well with my RAP offering for this week "Doors"

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Sam Van Eman said...

I'd go there just to see that white tree in person.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such beauty! I've never been to Spain, though through you I feel that I've gotten a peek into its vibrant colors, shapes, and people.

Thanks for your talent with photography--you know what to look for and how to capture a moment that's more than a moment.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I'm just catching up on all your posts from the trip. What great pictures!

I always fall in love with the people, too. I think it's the difference between being a tourist and a traveler.

8:05 AM  
Blogger GratefulinGA said...

It has been months
and when i finally venture out into the world-o-blog what sweet respite await me.

thanks LL

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home