Thursday, July 09, 2009

The Gift: Sometimes You See

stonecrossings

Sometimes you give a gift and that's the end of things. Well, the end for you. The gift leaves your hands and you don't know where it travels, what the increase is. But sometimes word gets back... just a small picture of a tiny part of the "increase," and you are heartened. Thank you, Reluctant Homefront, for giving me a glimpse of your experience...

The other day I received a gift in the mail. I had stumbled on a giveaway held on Billy Coffey's blog, and as it turned out, mine was the name picked out of his hat by his children. I was excited to find L.L. Barkat's Stone Crossings in my mailbox only days later, and immediately settled in to read. I'm not sure what I expected when I first cracked the pages, but what I received was certainly beyond my expectations...

read the rest here...


On another note, here's my offering for this week's poetry celebration:

"Gift"

Boxed taped paper
flapped folded fitted
sealed kissed sent felt
burst open
let me
be

RELATED POST:
High Calling Blogs The Gift: Hike With Me

POETRY FRIDAY:
High Calling Blogs RAP: Make Me Human
Lorrie’s Tambourine
Monica’s Wedding Gown
Liz’s Gone
Simple Country Girl’s Wild Daisy
Jim’s Take Jonah, many do
Mom2Six’s Cavern
Laura’s Paint
Joelle's Animals Know Better

Stone Crossings photo by The Reluctant Homefront.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger TAMI said...

It's nice to hear you delighting in the gift of a gratitude returned! Hope you'll always have time to cherish the hearts your books have touched.

10:51 AM  
Blogger e.o.w. said...

I love that you've settled in with a copy of stone crossings... So often I hesitate before returning to something I've written, as though I've "been there, done that" and would be "wasting time" (if there is such a thing...)
Gifts enter our lives in so many different ways. I just uploaded some pictures of making bread this morning and found myself remembering the woman who taught me how to bake with such warmth. I haven't spoken with her in years but her teachings, such valuable gifts to me, will stay with me always...

3:43 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Tami, your profound comment went straight to *my* heart. I'm thinking that the day we forget to cherish the hearts we touch is the day we should probably stop writing.

E.oW. Oh, you are right, I should reread my own book. However, it's The Homefront who settled in with it... though one could hardly call it settling; she wrote me a note saying she started reading it the night she got it and finished it next morning! :) I look forward to seeing your bread pics, btw.

7:53 PM  
Blogger e.o.w. said...

Ahh...Just reread your post and see the italics were from Reluctant Homefront... Such a joy to be appreciated like that!

p.s. love the percussion-like (a steady snare beat I think) vibrations of "Gift"

9:38 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Amen!

5:29 AM  
Blogger Joelle said...

Oh. You are, you are. Gift.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Lloyd Irving Bradbury said...

OK

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home