Thursday, August 20, 2009

Found in the Closet

Mary Claire 5

"Out"

I found you
tucked between
black pinstripe
and woolen

plaid. One strap
already slipped
from the white
plastic hanger

as if you knew
I would reach
through any minute
now, shake red

silk free of darkness,
slide you over my
shoulders, let your
sweet cherry bow rest

beneath my breast.
I remember now, you
used to belong to
petite Asian friend

of my sister. Did she
have a baby doll face
and what was the cut
of her hair? What would

she think if she saw
you now, making silver
headed church women
whisper and stare?

Why yes, this coming week we are digging in our closets for whatever poems me might find there. Please post your offerings by Thursday, August 27, for links and possible feature at High Calling Blogs. As usual, leave your link here in the comment box so I can easily find you.

Now, about my own closet poem. I wrote it because I was thinking how surprising it is to have something within and not know it, or not remember. That's how I feel about the art I'm finding inside. Where in the world did it come from? It surprises and delights me, like the red dress in my closet (which, by the way, I did wear to church on Sunday and received many compliments).

Mary Claire in soft pastel, art and photo by L.L. Barkat.

POETRY FRIDAY:
High Calling Blogs That Girl (Not the Other One)
Jim’s Concrete Patches
Kelly’s Grandpa’s Deck
Fred’s That Girl
Cindy’s Living Beyond My Wasteland and Wishes on Fire
Monica’s Homesick
Claire’s Really?
A Simple Country Girl’s Some Porches Connect
Lorrie’s Sword
Mom2Six’s Swing
Claire’s I Am a Rag Doll
Liz’s Rooms Outdoors
LL’s When Morning Comes, Today, and Girl (scroll down to comment 33 or so)
Linda’s Porch
Lance’s Porch Weather
Marcus’s musings Think Like a Poet and a Scientist
Glynn’s Found by the Pool
Jane’s Conversion
Yvette's Dancer

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great poem, LL.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Poem makes you feel something.

http://realrick.blogspot.com/2009/07/psalm-66-poetic-rendition-black-water.html

2:24 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Wonderful poem, L.L. Who would have thought? But yes, the closet has so much! I am looking forward to this one. Of course it is not written yet, but I will be back before next Thursday!

7:28 PM  
Blogger ELK said...

a closet filled with words...

11:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really like the humanization of the dress in the last line..."what if she saw you now" ;)

10:55 AM  
Blogger sojourner said...

i really liked these words:

"shake red

silk free of darkness,
slide you over my
shoulders, let your
sweet cherry bow rest

beneath my breast."

They feel like silk within the beat of my heart

5:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i can see the red bow tucked just below the curve line. beautiful, evocative poem that brings back many memories of my own red dress.

11:44 AM  
Blogger e.o.w. said...

your words make me smile. I'll be on the look out for treasure forgotten buried deep...

2:43 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

I guess if one writes a poem just to write a poem it might come harder than writing something out of one's experience. I keep thinking when I think of writing a poem that I have to work on writing a poem. Instead I need to think in terms of some experience. Not sure my closet will be that helpful, though.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Glynn said...

This is fun -- but it's hard fun, too. http://faithfictionfriends.blogspot.com/2009/08/testimony-in-closet.html

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Kelly Langner Sauer said...

Here's mine: Spring Cleaning.

Hope you're well this week!

7:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I enjoyed finding the beauty "between black pinstripe and woolen plaid..."

Here's what I found...
http://mom2six-treasures.blogspot.com/2009/08/rap-renewed.html

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home