Monday, August 31, 2009

Last Night by the Sea

LL in Long Island

"Can we go see the stars on the beach?" she asks.

It is ten o'clock at night, past her bedtime. I have never seen the stars and moon over the ocean. I understand her desire. We go.

The beach is empty. Moon is soft in a black sky. Stars, we see stars. And the sand, beneath this street lamp, looks like moon dust. My Eldest leans into me, smoothes my hair. "Can I have the camera?"

She photographs the moon. Moon dust beach. And me, back to the land, face to the sea.

This, this is a beautiful way to spend our final night on Long Island. Moon, stars, sand, and a young girl longing to take it home in some small way. I understand her desire.

moon beach


LL by the Sea, photo by Sara. Used with permission. Moon over Beach photo by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Kelly Langner Sauer said...

There are simply no words for life like this, moments chosen instead of set aside for schedule, moments lived you never realized existed... Beautiful.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Sherri Murphy said...

Yes.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Peaceful and dreamy.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

There is something so wonderful about the sea. I am glad you had that special moment.

9:14 PM  
Blogger e.o.w. said...

contented sigh.

9:17 PM  
Blogger ELK said...

this
is
a
lovely
ending
i
agree

10:01 PM  
Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

So nice, L.L.

A song comes to mind: "You are the Sun" by Sara Groves.

"I am the moon with no light of my own
Still you have made me to shine"

Keep shining.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Lynet said...

The beach is magic at night -- perhaps more so, because it is so often a sudden, unplanned impulse: "Let's go to the beach," so you go, and the sea is wide and deep and black, and you know that it has always been mysterious like that, you just never saw it without the surrounding noise and color before.

2:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

a perfect moment.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Jim Martin said...

L.L.-- A beautiful piece that caused me to remember similar moments with my children. In fact, your words made me feel like I was by the ocean again.

Thank you.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can feel the sand between my toes, smell that fresh sea air, see the twinkly stars and bright moon!

thank you ll and sara for taking photos and sharing them. they are lovely.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous cas said...

What a gorgeous photo of the moon over the ocean. I was instantly reminded of a poem by my son Gabe from 2001. It goes like this:

As the sun sets,

it casts deep purple hues

on the hot orange sky;

the glowing orb touches the sea;

the water sizzles and pops

magnificent effervescence.

Sinking slowly into the ocean,

the sun sends drops of luminescence

spinning in every direction;

dotting the inevitable night sky,

the last breathtaking color

is pulled into the churning waves,

where it waits

patiently to be released

from the watery prison

of the following dawn.

9:42 AM  
Blogger sojourner said...

breath taking photography and shared relationship!

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home