Thursday, September 03, 2009

Casting for Beauty

Translucent

Water washes over my toes. The sound of ocean ebb-and-flow eases tension. I stand, camera in hand, waiting for sun to set. Or I search the sand, the rocks, the waves.

He stands too.

A fisherman, waiting.

I hold up my camera as if to say... I'm fishing too, see? He moves on, becomes a silhouette against the dying sun. I watch him casting, casting. Fishing for dinner.

Speckled

I am fishing too. Casting for beauty. With my lens I reign in a speckled rock.


Sacrifice

I capture an accidental sacrifice— jellyfish rotting into amber blackness, spreads a star of beauty near what I call my lemon and peach shells.


Garnet Ball

With my digital memory I take home a garnet ball I now wish I'd put in my pocket, heavy as it was.


Lemon Shell

The world is lemon sherbet.


Peach Shell

The world is peach sherbet too. I gobble it up with concave glass.


Red Rock

A red rock watches me. And I watch it. Subsumed, reincarnated, subsumed.


Golden Striped

Here is a golden striped beauty, soft, so soft.


Gathering

If I spent forever on this beach, beauty would break me. I would fish and fish and fish. Someone would find me on the far side of morning, belly up, an accidental sacrifice. Would they guess I'd simply been casting for beauty...


Long Island Rocks and Shells photos, by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

when in a place like this, i lose track of time and then somehow it has to find me again.

1:21 PM  
Blogger TAMI said...

Subsumed = a new word for me.

Love the lemon sherbet!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

"beauty would break me" I love it!

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Ann Kroeker/Not So Fast said...

You teach us to *see*, which is why I am highlighting you as "seeing" mentor at my NotSoFastBook.com blog.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Oh - I would be laying there right beside you. I love the ocean and everything about it. It reminds me of eternity. It is like a living being - breathing in and out in perfect rhythm.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Laura {{* *}} said...

Ah..
The Gift of the Sea...

ancient salt
cleansing, refreshing,
outer & inner
weariness.

Grateful for the view
from a distant shore~

{{* *}}

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man
these are soooo beautiful!

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Lynet said...

I needed peace tonight, and I washed up here, drifting in and out between your pictures and your words. Thanks for the calm.

7:22 AM  
Blogger ELK said...

oh the smallness of each shell and stone on the vast beach...a favored moment

3:32 PM  
Blogger TUC said...

Wow, your pics are awesome. What kind of camera are you using?

1:35 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

And I imagine the experience itself was just as good as what you were seeing. At least that's the way it can be sometimes for me.

Lovely photos.

5:41 PM  
Anonymous suzy said...

I'm submerged.
In beauty!

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home