Monday, August 02, 2010

On, In, and Around Mondays: Basil, Vines, and Possibility

orange flower

Red notebook in hand, I sit near the little herb garden. It seems important to write in the place I am going to tell you about, rather than recalling it later at a keyboard.

susans-trees

And isn't it good for my soul, after all, to listen to the dance of hemlocks, maples and wind. This sound could be water if I didn't know better. Funny how things are more the same than we let them be.

pink begonia

The garden contains possibility— basil for red sauce, sage for French lentil salad, rosemary for new potatoes, chives for cream cheese (my daughters love to snip green stems with scissors).

susans

Just a few years ago, this yard had too many views of trampolines, garages, tree house, chain link fence. But I have cultivated possibility, let vines grow, allowed branches to come between me and the neighbors.

herb garden

Is that all it takes sometimes? A few short years of letting go... leaning into possibility... to find such as this? I get on my knees beside the little herb garden, push my camera towards beauty, and click.

---

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place.

Would you like to try? This week, consider writing something about your yard and add your link below. If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Mommy Emily said...

i love the idea that things are more the same than we realize... i love how you see recipes growing in your garden. i hope to participate in this at some point this week. e.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Mommy Emily said...

actually, i'm going to link friday's post here... if that's okay?

9:15 AM  
Blogger SimplyDarlene said...

I did my post and linked it and then re-read yours. Seems red was in my yard too...

Thank you for the sharing opportunity.

Blessings.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hear a few branches can make neighbors more attractive to eachother, as long as the branches are grown on ones own property and they are not a fire hazard, or housing rats, or...

oh...um, i mean, it sounds lovely.

pretty pictures!

3:18 PM  
Blogger S. Etole said...

a beautiful place to be ... the yard

3:47 PM  
Blogger Louise Gallagher said...

So you did all that gardening and growing and envisioning and creating and seeing and wow!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

There are so many things going on it is difficult to participate in them all. However, I hope to do this one day soon.
This is my favorite place so far. It is a perfect garden - just sweet and full and abundant. There is something so special about writing outdoors.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Heather Mattern said...

What a lovely idea!!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Michelle DeRusha said...

Love this post...and the idea of place. I do need to come back here some week and link up -- I will!

I am reading God in the Yard. Have I told you how much I love it? I am going to read it all the way through first, and then read it again and so some of the exercises/prompts. I am so excited!

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

Oh, I could sit in that yard forever.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Kelly Sauer said...

totally intended to write for this, and then I totally forgot. what a week it has been.

I really love these.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Angel @ Finding The Inspiring said...

Thank you for the opportunity to write on this subject. I figured what better time to submit something for On, In and Around Mondays than Friday! :) Blessings to you.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Angel @ Finding The Inspiring said...

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know my link wasn't showing up. I thought I had put it in. Not sure what happened but I think it works now. Blessings!

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home