Friday, October 08, 2010

Tea is For Anything Life Brings

tea 1

So much going on, I tell her. I will post next week.

Because, it is true. There is excitement and work. Sorrow, deep sorrow. Birth of friendships, or maybe just deepening.

I will have tea with you next week, I tell her. I am overwhelmed.

Then I see this at April Harris's Life and Times. She is writing about tea...

---

But it isn’t just the drink itself that is important, it is the ritual round it. Not that we have tea ceremonies like in Japan or anything, but the simple act of boiling water, pouring it over tea and serving it, is very centering. You see, whether you are making a cup of tea as a celebration, as commiseration and comfort, or to calm someone, the way you make it is the same. So even if your life is falling to pieces around you, or someone in an impossible situation has come to you for help and you have no idea where to start or what to say, making tea is something you can do.

---

April is right. I will post today. Because I must make tea, for the cup that Ann gave me.

I put water in the stainless steal teapot. I boil it. I measure Creme Earl Grey into a ceramic container with its little nylon tea basket. I smell the scent that says, "Celebrate" and, on the other hand, "I am so sorry." I run my finger along the fragile line of the tea cup. It tapers to a fine edge. I can feel that it is indeed antique. Light comes through the cup where it thins.

Remembering another friend's journey, I choose to sit outside to drink.

tea 3

Now the sky and autumn rides on the surface of Creme Earl Grey. Colors of both hope and sorrow.

tea 2

Tea is something we can do. So I am doing it today.

tea 4

Tea Cup from Ann Kroeker. Photos by L.L. Barkat. Want to have tea with us? Add your link at Ann's.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

Oh, those pictures! Oh, those thoughts. Birth, change, death, sorrow, centering, and celebration.

Deep well today.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Ann Kroeker said...

"Tea is something we can do." Yes. Making it, holding it, stirring it, sipping it, staring into it.

I could stare into yours for a long time...

Thank you for sharing tea with me.

6:05 PM  
Anonymous April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

This is a beautiful post. I feel honoured to have been a part of it. Thank you so much!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Overby said...

Cup 'o courage, cup 'o kindness ~ for you and another, reflecting love. :) Hugs with my hands holding yours.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

:)
love this entry
thanks

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Jingle said...

loved tea all the time.
what a treasury post.
love the details in your post.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home