Monday, February 20, 2012

On, in, and Around Mondays: When the Gift Knows What You Need

Teapot and Journal

Every morning I would make tea, in an individual teapot.

Every morning, my older daughter would come by surreptitiously and steal-away with some of the tea.

"Hey, did you take my tea?" I'd say, and laugh, when I'd gone back for more tea and found my teapot wanting.

Then I received a casual teapot for Christmas. Full-sized and cheery, it sat on the counter. Until one day it occurred to me... why, yes, I could make a whole pot of tea every morning, couldn't I.

So I started to do that, and it quickly became a new ritual. And even my younger daughter now has tea every morning.

I started thinking about this phenomenon the other day—how the addition of something we didn't know we wanted or needed can change our lives in the most delightful ways. For my younger daughter, it has been not so much the teapot as her new journal. Every day, she makes clothing designs in it. This has become her new ritual.

I am not sure we can make these things happen. It's as if the gift has to arrive, for the unperceived need to become apparent.

As for me, I accept the serendipity. Especially if it comes with tea.
_______

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Lisa notes... said...

If only I were a tea drinker. :-) This is a beautiful story of unexpected pleasure.

I feel I'm on the verge of receiving a new gift that I wasn't expecting or looking for (even though in the moment it is wrapped in pain). God is good.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous kendal said...

his provision, if i wait on it, is perfect and pure. love this teapot post.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Simply Darlene said...

I've heard told
serendipity
tastes
a bit
like
peppermint.


Blessings.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Joe Pote said...

Oops! I didn't intend to post my link twice. Sorry about that!

I love your story about the tea. Hot beverages are a big thing in my family as well.

The only thing I like better than sitting down for a few moments of solitude with a hot beverage is sitting down with a loved one to share a hot beverage.

Thanks for sharing!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Megan Willome said...

Haven't you learned, dear friend, serendipity always comes with tea. It's a law of the universe. First, tea. Then, serendipity.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Kristin Bridgman said...

Oh, how I love tea. . .and journals. . .and your story! AND those unexpected gifts :)

10:48 AM  
Blogger Laurie Collett said...

Praise God that He knows exactly what we need, before we even ask Him!
God bless,
Laurie

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Joe Bunting said...

I love what this says about rituals and how they begin: surprisingly and with little forethought. And yet they transform us, don't they?

12:58 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

There is nothing quite as comforting as a cup of tea.
I love this thought Laura. I imagine the Father dropping little unexpected blessings - nudging us along a path He designed long before we drew one breath.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

serendipitea...it's a new blend

3:54 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

How good our God is to us! He sends unexpected blessings and delights in turning simple acts into treasures. But of course we have to have our eyes open enough to notice the many blessings, and that our lives receive and pour forth treasures! How we need to always be looking at him!

The Lord bless your day, and your family, and everything from the simple rituals to the mysteriously intricate person and actions and thoughts that represent the complete Laura.

I've posted my link.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Nacole said...

love it...how the gift must come for us to realize there was a need...it is so empowering and brings so much contentment to not need so much...just take the gifts as they come...i also love my different types of tea as well...and you inspire me to just be still and taste.

blessings,

~Nacole

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Dolly@ Soul Stops said...

Celebrating with you those unexpected gifts and the birth of new rituals :)

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Alyssa Santos said...

Oh, I love this! my oldest daughter has edged into my rituals (usually coffee) and made them her own -- so we learned to share. I love that small a-ha moment where you realized the bigger tea-pot provided the means to giving to both of you - so much like Jesus and the grace that comes through his death and the end of filling the letter of the law. There is always enough grace -- like the widow's oil! Bless you!

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home