Saturday, September 08, 2012

On, In, and Around Mondays: Fictional Seeing

Jewelweed


"I do it on purpose, you know."

That's what I told my friend, when it was observed that I have a Georgia O'Keefe approach to photography.

After I said this, I went back over some of my photos to see if it was true. Do I really do it on purpose? Often, yes. And sometimes it is just that I go through a series of shots, after the fact, until I find the ones that do what I would have done on purpose, had I the mind to do it.

I am reminded, suddenly, of an idea I include in The Novelist, from Mario Vargas Llosa. He said this regarding the construction of fiction, but I think it might apply to all kinds of seeing and composing...

A successful fiction would always contain something inexplicable, something unbound...certain factors [are] crucial to a work—intuition, sensitivity, divination, or the elusive reality of chance. (p.106, The Novelist)

Now it is also true that whether or not I create in a purposeful way, somehow my true self seems to come through not only in the inexplicable and the divination but also in the elusive reality of chance.

Makes me wonder, then. Is Georgia, really, always on my mind?

_____

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button



This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...




Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Megan Willome said...

Didn't Georgia say that she painted the way she did because people don't see--she wanted to help us to really see just one flower.

And any day with Georgia on your mind is a good day.

11:47 AM  
Anonymous kendal said...

georgia on my mind....this line made me smile.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

"After I said this, I went back over some of my photos to see if it was true."

I live a lot of my life that way. I'll be thinking about this today. Thanks.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Lisa Boyle said...

Thanks so much for hosting!

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've given me food for thought with my own photography. And I love all your shots by the way, they do have a certain quality to them, maybe it is Georgia on your mind! :)

12:47 PM  
Blogger Laurie Collett said...

I believe intentional living and creating is only possible when we are aligned with God's will. Then He will direct our paths (Prov. 3:5-6). Thanks for the beautiful post & for hosting the linkup, & God bless!

2:48 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

The Lord has given you eyes to see with and a heart to share, in deeper ways than most folks ever go. May you feel the serenity of his presence. And may you go on seeing the beauties of this world and this life, through a Georgia O'Keefe lens or through panorama or the big picture.

May God envelop you in himself.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Hmmm... Fictional Seeing. The Novelist (still at the beginning). Wondering then about the power of fiction for a truth telling tool? I never looked at it that way before. Food for thought, banquet style.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Ann Kroeker said...

You always give me something to think about, L.L.!

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

To see and share well. That's my dream.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous sandra tyler said...

wow, that sure is Georgie Okeefe!

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home