Saturday, September 01, 2012

On, In, and Around Mondays: Touch Stuff, Get Happy

Food Sculpture

Eggplant ends, and hot peppers. The skin of an onion. A few stray seeds.

This is the stuff of potential made-things. And I live with two girls who always seem to know the secret: We are made happier when our hands touch textures, when we fill our senses with sound and scent.

Kelly Sauer knows this. She started buying books and magazines again, because they fill her in a way that cyber-reading does not.

I still love my cyber-reads. I learn so much. I find people, and people find me. But there is something about a made-thing that is so important. And, yes, we are made happier when we engage with them. So I understand Kelly's books and magazines.

I was reminded of the power of made-things again this morning, reading about knitting groups, and how they can touch the world.

All of this spoke to the dynamic I've begun to cultivate on Sunday afternoons. Touch, experience, fill the senses. Cut the eggplant, or the onions. Water the garden. Read a book with real pages. Fill a bath and add rosemary oil. Just one day. But it makes my week.

Oh now, I can't wait for tomorrow...
_____

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button



This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...




Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Sandra Tyler said...

lOVE this idea. I may be back! And this sundayvwas the most tactile I've been all summer if that means only pulling up weeds. But I may take a bubble bath instead of a shower tonight....

12:47 PM  
Blogger Chris Yokel said...

We respond to made things because we are made things :-)

3:42 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

So glad I stopped by today, a perfect and beautiful post for me. This is where my head and hands are at. Miss you...

9:12 PM  
Anonymous kendal said...

no only the textures for me, but the smells. i adore the smell of a library book....

8:16 AM  
Blogger Lauren @ mercy(INK) said...

What a sweet thought... I love that you've set aside a specific day for reading books with pages... the beauty of the made things. Thanks for hosting.
blessings,
lauren mills
mercyinkblog.com

10:51 AM  
Blogger Debra said...

You make me long for another soak in aura cascia tranquility.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Camp said...

I rode my bike with my family to breakfast today -- summer sun on my face, gardenia blooms fragrance wafting in air. So thankful for what I can experience with all these sensations He has given. Thank you and bless you today.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

God made us with all our senses: touch, smell, hearing, sight, taste. Surely he must be pleased when we take the time to explore and enjoy what our senses tell us. And how they increase our admiration for Father God.

May the Lord keep you tasting and touching -- and most of all, reveling in him.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Monica Sharman said...

and this is just the tip of the
eggplant

6:26 PM  
Blogger Laurie Collett said...

I haven't cooked for ages, but today we had a BBQ with our son & his girlfriend, & I must say I enjoyed cutting up the ingredients -- even peeling the onions! Thanks for the great post & for hosting the linkup, & God bless,
Laurie

10:04 PM  
Blogger Shaunie @ Up the Sunbeam said...

This is so simply beautiful, as only fundamental truths can be. Thank you for the sweet reminder to use our God-given senses to connect with Him in a Romans 1:20 sort of way--learning first-hand the ways He has revealed Himself in His creation and our experience of it!

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Monica Sharman said...

Okay, it turns out I like to cook with eggplant and onion, too. So I joined in the fun:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/monica-sharman/sets/72157631527782749/

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home