Saturday, October 27, 2012

On, In, and Around Mondays: You Want the One-Star

Booked Cover 2

"You're going to want the five-stars and the one-stars," I told her.

It is Karen's first book—a poignant and humorous memoir, Booked: Literature in the Soul of Me.

Karen has been an award-winning professor and a writer for a long time. She knows what it is to be read and responded to. Still. There is nothing so surprising as your first one-star review, and I was just broaching the subject before it happens.

The one-star review is a good surprise; of course, it needs to be generously balanced by five-star reviews if your book is truly excellent. But the point is that the best books will garner reviews in two directions. This is desirable. It means you have a strong, distinctive voice, and that people either love that voice or despise it.

Karen is gracious, and she thanked me for the unsolicited advice. It goes without saying... I am wishing her more five-stars.

_____

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button



This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

That makes a lot of sense. Passing this to a friend who will appreciate!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Linda Richardson said...

interesting idea - happy to join along!

6:23 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Great to know. I guess it's the case for all things "true" and "pure"--there will always be both praise and criticism. Thanks for this perspective.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Dolly@Soulstops said...

what great advice...I passed on to another writer, your words about "anti-audience" in a High Calling blog post a while back...blessings, Laura :)

8:58 PM  
Blogger Lisa notes... said...

Love that perspective because I do tend to read both. Sometimes the one stars are what prompt me to get the book. :-)

8:13 AM  
Blogger David Rupert said...

I figure half the people hate what I do and the other half love it. It gives good balance and keeps me honest.

9:59 AM  
Blogger A Proverbs 31 Wife said...

Thanks for hosting :) I added you to my party page.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

I am so "favoriting" this post in my personal files. I will need to remember this. Thank you, wise friend.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Laurie Collett said...

Excellent point! Thanks for the great post & for hosting, & God bless!

12:19 PM  
Blogger kchripczuk said...

Good reminder, I'm too often anxious for the warm welcome, too often warry of drawing criticism, but this can leave my words, my life, mealy and flavorless, comfort food rather than a rare and enticing delight.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home