Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Beautiful


Yesterday, we talked about calling, about giftedness.

Regarding giftedness, I like this, from Akeela and the Bee...

The problem is not that you think you are inadequate, but that you know you are powerful beyond measure... you say, 'Who am I to be gorgeous, talented, smart?' ... Who are you NOT to be, when through this you show the image of God? (my paraphrase)

Sometimes, I think we spin our wheels pursuing areas we're not particularly gifted in, because we are frightened to be powerful in another area we know we are made to inhabit. Or maybe we pursue other things because we're frightened that no one will care about our true callings, or notice we are beautiful.

"Conduct yourselves wisely...making the most of the time." Colossians 4:5

Painting by Stefani M. Rossi Used with permission.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love this quote and I have the whole thing if you'd like it. You can contact me thru my blogger profile.

Michelle

10:06 AM  
Blogger Linea said...

I love the art - the artist has a calling!

I also appreciate the quote. I think we live in mediocrity if we do not follow our callings when we are given opportunities.

For those born in places that can offer no opportunities, I always think how much of God's creation is denied a part of their being. Maybe that is part of why it causes me such pain to see children suffering, struggling just to live. How much more God created them for!

10:54 AM  
Blogger christianne said...

The quote reminds me of C.S. Lewis and what he says in his "Weight of Glory" essay about never having met a mere mortal and passing people on the street every day who, if we were to see their souls as they really are, would cause us to shriek in terror or bow down in worship. We are so much more than we seem.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very keen insight!

I am convinced this is why I have had so many jobs, moved so many times, taken up so many hobbies, for so many years. Writing is a calling, but it can be hard, and I can be overlooked.

3:25 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Michelle- thanks for your generous spirit!

Linea- ah, mediocrity... good point. And, since we've been given much, as you imply (compared to others in other places), I think we will be called to account for mediocrity.

Christianne- great quote! I have this feeling I might inspire both responses at the same time... an interesting sight. :)

Charity - so, are you going to pursue it more? Still, it's, as Andy Crouch says, "no way to make a living", so don't feel too guilty about doing it parttime. :)

8:31 PM  
Blogger eph2810 said...

We certainly be beautiful when we let him work in us.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really need to see that movie. And you're so right that if we put ourselves out there, we hope that someone will notice.

2:32 PM  
Blogger elaine x said...

that quote by marianne williamson is awesome ... while attributed to nelson mandela, as the most famous person who quoted her words, it always gives me a smile to know another mom said that!

peace & harmony,
elaine
'freedom must be exercised to stay in shape!'

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home