Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Shake it Out


Last week, we talked "measure twice." And of course I went off to argue with myself over it. Because the flip side of being cautious and slow in decision-making is this...sometimes people toil over decisions for so long, they never even get out of the shaker...all that flavor the world needs... stays bottled up...

Proverbs 16:9 says, "The human mind plans the way, but the LORD directs the steps." Sometimes we've got to quit measuring and start cutting... you know, shake out of our crazy desires for perfection and avoidance-of-failure-at-all-costs and pour with confidence and trust...that Somebody Else is in on this life of ours too... and that things will work out eventually.

Though I'm mostly a measure-once person (which has its regrets too), I know that sometimes I've been measuring Just-A-Little-Too-Long. Oh, God, at these times, help me just shake it out.

Drawing by Stefani M. Rossi Used with permission.

6 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Run and jump and play!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Mark Goodyear said...

I always enjoy your blog.

This post reminds me of my wife's wonderful pie crusts. They're a family secret, but I wish you could try one.

I can't make her crusts yet--because the process is just as important as the ingredients. The measurements are important, but so is the cutting.

And here's the mistake I always make: I cut too much. My wife shakes her head and says, You have to trust the dough.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Good advice!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Anne Mateer said...

Have I said that I love the pictures on your posts almost as much as the words themselves?

4:29 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Caveboy... glad it was useful... though I'm thinking that the piecrust Mark talked about here would be very useful too...

so... okay, Mark, you are going to have to find a way to share! :) Because, there's nothing like pie crust to put a skip into us, like Heather is recommending...

and, One More Writer, you can thank the wonderful visual artists who collaborate with me here... I think they are great too... like gracious dancing partners who've agreed to tango with my words.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah--I usually measure once, in an effort to get the hard-for-me part over--making the decision. Once I've decided, even if it is with some regrets, I'm generally happy not to be mulling it over anymore.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home