Monday, September 18, 2006

Washed Up

I find this little discovery fascinating...

Researchers got some students to think about their "past sins." (That's a quote from Benedict Carey in The New York Times.) Then the researchers offered these guilty students a chance to do volunteer work. Many said "yes," in what psychologist's would label "symbolic cleansing." But if the students had the chance to wash their hands, they were half as likely to agree to the volunteer work.

So it seems that Lady Macbeth and Pontius Pilate and King David were on to something... people feel guilt when they betray somebody, somehow... and they feel the need to get rid of that guilt with cleansing. This seems to have great spiritual significance.

Of course, now I'm going to be second-guessing myself every time I wash my hands...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I'm wondering if my occasionally neurotic handwashing is less about having an obsessive/compulsive disorder, and more about having a guity conscience.

11:25 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Just watch out for the times when you go "anti-bacterial." :)

5:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting. I need to go wash my hands. I fed some guests some bagged spinach yesterday and I am kind of feeling guilty about maybe passing on the e coli virus. . . .

9:16 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Let's just hope they're not reading this. :)

10:31 PM  
Blogger eph2810 said...

Oh - I love this. I am glad that I was cleansed by His blood :) and don't have to worry about it any more.
Thank you for sharing and stopping by today.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Jim Martin said...

Now this is interesting. Thanks for the post and the reference to the article. I plan to read it.

Always enjoy your writing, whether on your blog on in the comments you leave on mine.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home