Friday, September 18, 2009

Turning Up Emeralds

Jewels by Sara

The world is filled with poetic jewels. Sometimes it takes a while to find them. That's what happened with me and George Seferis, a Greek poet. I stumbled upon him, and feel enchanted by his every word.

Here are a few of his lines...

A little farther
we will see the almond trees blossoming
the marble gleaming in the sun
the sea breaking into waves...



And here is the poem his lines inspired in me...

Almonds...
I remember the scent
and how you crushed them,
their brown skins
turning to dust
scattering like spilled cinnamon.


Poetry Prompt: Next Friday at HighCallingBlogs, we're going to branch out and do another aspect of "Culture" besides poetry. RAP will resume the following week. In the meantime, you might try writing a brief poem based on the lines of someone else's poem.

POETRY FRIDAY:
High Calling Blogs Habitual Poetry
nAncY’s Holy
Glynn’s Who Were You in My Dream and Early Fall Leaves
Lorrie’s Fear
Monica’s Dream Girl
Kelly’s After Egypt
Jim's Thirty-Five

Jewels photo by Sara B. Used with permission.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lorrie said...

Beautiful beautiful words! I love how you were inspired. I may have to print that for the fridge... I could read it again again :)

9:40 AM  
Blogger Glynn said...

The speechwriter (and the poet) in me loves the alliteration of "scattering like spilled cinnamon."

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this picture memory. the word cinnamon evokes many different thoughts and feelings.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh..i guess i am early by a week..i just remembered about the week off of rap.

anyway, here is what i came up with from the prompt. the prompt being very interesting, by the way.
pretty sly way of getting us to read more poetry! ;-)

http://justsaytheword.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/lines-taken/

i love my word verification this time to post...it is "atinatic".

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home