Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Been There


I like Ted Kooser's advice to writers, about details. Details carry power. Unexpected, unpredictable details carry authenticating power. Here's what he says...

"Just keep in mind that it won't be the birthday cake covered with twinkling candles that will make readers feel you were really at the party, but the bone-handled serving fork with one tine missing and the place where the lace has pulled loose from the hem of the tablecloth."

I consider that this might be true in life too... if I pay attention to the details of the lives of my friends, my spouse, my children, they may truly sense that I've "been there," in a powerfully authentic way.

The Poetry Home Repair Manual, by Ted Kooser

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Definitely. It's the details, strung together, over days, weeks, months, and years, that make our lives.

8:58 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Beautiful thought.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful, helpful thoughts.

Just as good writing starts with good thinking -- it grows and flourishes with good observing.

The better I see, the better I write.

How true of life, as well. Yes.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I love that quote. I even sent your link to a writing friend just now.

9:59 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Thanks, Darlene. Kooser is tremendous... it is worth reading his whole book if you want writing advice that will reallly change your ways. And, as you see, his advice is even transferable to life.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home