Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful for... More Blog Traffic?

corn

The other day someone asked me how to significantly increase blog traffic. I sent a long email in response, then decided I really needed to do a whole post.

Thus, Increase Your Blog Traffic: Top 5 Book Rec's.

At first blush, it could seem rather selfish to focus on a goal like increasing one's blog traffic. As if such a goal would be all-about-you.

I like to think about that differently. And so do the writers of Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust. In this book, Brogan and Smith ask (and answer) something remarkably refreshing, something I've been waiting to hear because I know it to be true...

"...aren't the people who spend a lot of time on Twitter, Facebook, and other social networks being ANTI-social? In a word, the answer is no." They continue, "we're not sure the community is disappearing. Instead, we think it is slowly, quietly making its way online." And their relationship is one proof. Two authors, one from Boston and the other from Montreal, wrote the book together.

Today I'm not at a Thanksgiving gathering, because our local one is going to be on Saturday. So here I am, able to be social in a different arena that spans geography and connects me with others who are also free today.

So, yes, I'm thankful that over the past few years my blog traffic has grown, because it means I know, or am getting to know, you.


Corn at Harvest Time photo, by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Peter P said...

... and it means people like me get the blessing of awesome blog comments from people in the online community... like you!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Anna Blanch said...

echoing Peter, it means i've gotten to know you too - and for that i am thankful. I am living on my third continent in three years and without the development of certain web-based technologies my life would be a little poorer. I have been able to maintain and strengthen relationships with friends and family I am not able to see regularly in person and to develop acquaintances through my blog. I heartily agree that building readership takes time - most of all the effort to write quality content and to be genuine about building relationships with people (not that different to the 'real' world. A.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I'm glad I found your blog. Guilt free...after reading this. Wanting to connect with others across the miles through blogging. Sharing life. Sharing truth. Sharing faith. Sharing sorrow. Sharing tears.
Sigh of relief that others are finding a way to connect in a new form of community.
Blessings.

4:03 PM  
Blogger ~*Michelle*~ said...

thankful our paths have crossed....

2:34 PM  
Blogger Lorrie said...

I have certainly found on-line friends that I consider true... friends that I've come to love.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home