Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sometimes a Picture

Invitation at the Gate

From beautiful Kelly... images that speak beyond the words.


Stayed

for Ann Voskamp


Why do we not
leave home.
Is it really for fear
of what lies
beyond, or rather
for fear that the
roof will abscond
with the doors
and the shutters
we’ve always known.
And who would they
blame if it happened
just so, if the whole
curtained place simply
picked up its stakes,
disappeared on the wind
in our absence. What
are we really afraid
of, why do we not
leave home.


Reprinted from InsideOut: poems, by L.L. Barkat.

blossom

Take a small walk over to Kelly's place, to see the poem she's paired with these frosted blossoms. Can you guess before you get there?


Photos by Kelly Langner Sauer. Used with permission. For a full-sized, gorgeous view of the top photo, visit Kelly's photo blog. (Click "Large Size" and then the Blog Tab when you get there.)

Labels: , , , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Maureen said...

Such lovely images, particularly that second one. I wish I had known Kelly when J. and I were looking for a wedding photographer.

Your poem reads so beautifully here, L.L.

What a delicious pairing. Its own poetry.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Amber said...

I think this is one of my favorites from your book, LL.

Isn't Kelly's work gorgeous?

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love-ly

1:24 PM  
Blogger Kelly Sauer said...

This poem just swirled with fear and emotion and hope and invitation. I felt like this photo painted the picture of the feeling I got through reading it, offering a window into what might happen if I stepped into the questions your words posed. Thanks for featuring it here!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Bina said...

What a pairing!

Kelly's snapshot...your wordsnap... Perfect!!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Overby said...

Kelly, I'm crying. My beloved grandmother had just such a gate. I can see beyond it to where her wisteria
made love and war with the climbing Belle of Portugal
while lifting the arbor and foundation off solid ground.
She had a yes face towards me all my life, no matter what. She encouraged me, pushed me gently to leave
home, to let go in order to grasp what was ahead.
The life I have is catpured perfectly~ in tribute with this poem and the picture. Your pictures themselves are poems. The words whipped cream topping.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I love anticipation.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Dianna Woolley said...

The poem is a winner for me. I never thought about leaving home - the first real time for college - when I returned things seemed much the same to me. When I left home for marriage, I returned and felt I'd been forgotten in some way....things were "different" without my living there:) How funny when we "decide" to leave home that we are surprised when our birth home changes. A lovely poem!

10:23 PM  
Blogger ELK said...

a moment in time.thank you for this beauty

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Kelly's photo's are pretty awe-inspiring.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

When I read this one in the book, I smiled. Oh yes, for Ann. It must have touched her deeply.
It's profound.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kelly has a way. You have a way...

10:57 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Stunning photos. Kelly is amazing, isnt she? Lovely poem too.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Art is so wonderful. Beauty speaks volumes, and much more than many like me imagine.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Stunning, all around.

Words, photos, ... you.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home