Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Industry

Okay, so I’ve been lax with the yard work lately. My grass is, oh, I don’t know, about eight inches long, lush and flowing, like reeds in a lazy creek.

Still, I am very proud of my industrious spirit… I fixed the old rake, grabbed the new one, and handed both rakes to my kids.

Now, someone is going to question my parenting style. But, hey, the kids asked me for the rakes… how could I say no? Besides, now we have a pine needle nest, suitable for raptors in search of cheap real estate. And there is a school of what appears to be one hundred bronze-colored fish, swimming off the left side of the yard. Just a little reward for my parental industry.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could use a little industry in my back yard -- sticks, sticks, sticks everywhere! And now the leaves have started. And when can a person stop mowing her lawn for the year?

Do your children travel with those rakes?

3:22 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

It appears I have come to that special moment, the non-mowing moment...

my children are allowed to travel anywhere someone buys them (and an accompanying parent) a ticket to... rakes are included (though probably not as carry-ons)

5:24 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

I heard of a special kind of grass (or is it some kind of plant that looks like grass) that is supposed to take over a lawn, when planted- in time. And would require only one mowing in the summer (and little water, as I recall?). I want to look into it, as I've been an abject failure with our lawn.

8:11 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Hi, Ted... do you suppose this grass might work in lieu of a living room carpet, too? I feel about as thrilled with housekeeping as I do with lawncare. :)

8:13 PM  
Blogger Inihtar said...

I live in an apartment, so I have no lawn. I think this is a good thing. I would be in serious danger of being evicted if I had a lawn.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

I wished i could find cheap real estate like that. I guess a house of pine straw would be kind of drafty up there in New York though.

Thanks for your sweet comment! Blessings to you.

2:07 PM  
Blogger eph2810 said...

I think it is great that you get your kids involved around the house...We somehow missed the opportunity when raising our son - and now we pay for it...

9:55 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ha, so my real problem was that I needed kids (i.e. labor that could be bought with pounds of candy and cheap sodas).

Thanks for stopping by.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home