Friday, December 04, 2009

12 Days of Self-Promotion, Sorta

christmas tree close

Is it okay to promote yourself? Over at High Calling Blogs, I've said it's not only okay, but necessary. I'll let you read the full lowdown over there.

Suffice it to say, self-promotion on-line is best done through genuine other-promotion. Which is why we're encouraging bloggers to engage in 12 Days of Community, by featuring at least 12 other bloggers on their personal sites throughout the month of December.

I'm going to try it out, starting with long-time colleague Mary E. DeMuth. I first met Mary over an awesome salad at Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference. She answered my newbie-writer questions through many email exchanges, long before I ever wrote my first book.

This week, almost like a writer-auntie, she actually wrote an Advent Reflection rooted in that first book. While I appreciate the way it promotes my work, what really quieted me was the beauty of Mary's own writing.

She made me think of Advent in a way I never had before. She wrote in the way I like best from Mary.

If you haven't met Mary, over salad or otherwise, I can tell you she's authored eight books. Her latest book, Thin Places, is a memoir releasing in February. You can watch the trailer here. In some ways, her story reminds me of mine. Yet not. The way good stories always do.

Sorta.

Christmas Badge

Christmas Tree Up Close, by Sonia. Used with permission.

THE 12 DAYS:
1. Mary's Advent (this post)
2. Laura in the Moss
3. Social Media Guys
4. Snow-White Butterfly Tree

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Mary DeMuth said...

Thanks for the shout out! And for your kind words. I'm so glad we crossed paths over a salad!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Damoff said...

Lovely choice. Lovely lady. Lovely friend. (Love you, Mary.)

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

quite honestly and sadly when i have visited this blog within the last few months...there has been alot of 'self-promotion' on here.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Joyeful said...

I see so many of my favorite writers in the High Calling Blogs network. Love it.

1:57 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Mary, I'd do salad again any day with you. :)

Jeanne, someday we need to meet!

Anonymous, I'm so sorry I have saddened you. Do you feel the same way about the other two blogs? Sometime you should email me privately. I wouldn't mind that.

Joye, I look forward to discovering some of your favorites!

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Lyla Lindquist said...

L.L., it's a wonderful idea, and I'm planning to give it a shot myself. I've benefitted from the gracious and generous promotion by another, and it's a good thing. I don't often have words to comment here, but I read often and appreciate what I read.

Anonymous, a soft word for you (if you read it in a soft voice): stop it.

If you have valid concerns, be courageous enough to own them with your name, humble enough to share them privately, and gracious enough to ask questions first.

Nameless, faceless grenade-throwing...this is how Jesus talks to us?

That's all. L.L., carry on.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Jeanne Damoff said...

I'd be delighted to meet you! We have so many friends in common, I'm surprised our paths haven't already crossed. Perhaps they will someday soon. Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy your beautiful words. I'm also planning to take the High Callings challenge and promote some of my favorite bloggers this month.

Thanks for your gentle, generous heart. Wishing you all the best with your book!

Love, Jeanne

12:17 PM  
Blogger Tamika: said...

Great idea L.L.! I'm joining in on the fun starting next week.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Monica Sharman said...

This sounds a lot like Romans 12:10, "Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor" (or, "outdo one another in showing honor").
Neat way to go about edification and to express appreciation.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I will take up the challenge, and add it the other's I'm trying , and take deep breaths, and give thanks for the life that has me so full.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Anna Blanch said...

Thankyou for the comments you leave! I would love to increase the level of interaction I have with my readers, but i don't want to be commenting on others just to increase that interaction. That feels disingenuous. I engage when i have something helpful to say not merely to self promote.

I appreciate your thoughts and for the challenge!

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LL... I don't know if you are doing a RAP this friday (11th)... I had a few poems but my latest I tried a few things new... Late notice, I know...

http://cindyhan111.wordpress.com/

10:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here are my choices...all gifted in one spot. http://mom2six-treasures.blogspot.com/2009/12/12-excellent-bloggers.html

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home