Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What's Your Spiritual Practice?

Spiritual Practice Books

Over the next month or so, for a special project, I'm making my way through a few books on spiritual practice. If you want to join the exploration, I'll be going through each book from cover to cover at my Love Notes to Yahweh blog.

The world seems full of books on spiritual practice these days, so it should be interesting to see if any of the ones above have something unique to offer. And, of course, along the way I'd love to have you share about your own spiritual practices—how they seem to either parallel or not parallel the ideas set forth in the books.

What's your spiritual practice? If you don't actually have any or you'd like to share some established ways, come along.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Hi L.L! My offering is this: My spiritual practice is to take either the unusual or the everyday physical circumstances in my life and to look for the spiritual lesson in them.

As a man, it is more normal for me to go for the practical/mechanical lesson. But, to gather the spiritual lesson I must identify the feelings/emotions that the physical circumstances elicit.

Again, as a man, it's hard for me to put a name to any emotions other than "angry," "impatient," and "frustrated."

But, if I can get to the place where I identify "devalued," "ignored," and "overlooked," I get to the spiritual heart of the matter.

Then, I can start to empathize and identify with others around me when I can see that they feel the same feelings.

And also, importantly, I can identify with Christ, and He with me, because He went through everything that I'm going through. He felt everything that I've felt. We close the circle on His incarnation. We connect spiritually. Through our spirits.

Blessings. Kim

3:55 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I leave in a few hours to head north for Lay Academy class. This weekend we are studying spiritual practices. I'm looking forward to this one and have really enjoyed the homework, which has involved trying out some different disciplines. I"ll have to check out these books (You know I love Richard Foster, though I was surprised to see him in your pile). You always challenge me to keep growing, you know that?

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Monica Sharman said...

Of course, now you've made me curious, wondering what the special project is. (But you meant to do that, I guess?)
:)

11:11 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

YEAH!
I am halfway through Rumors of Water started in NY this weekend. I woke up my daughter Emma ( 14) as I read out loud to my sister the chapter about TEA! "Listen to this !" We were all sleeping in the same room in Brooklyn ~ my nephews new - old apt! After the lights went out, we told stories. Halfway done with your book. More to come from this reader!

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home