Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Rumors Together

RUMORS-sonia's gold cropped

I put the first copy in my bag, wanted to bring it along to show my sister.

About an hour into the trip, I heard my girl laughing in the back seat.

"What are you reading?" I asked.

"Your book," she said.

She'd quietly pulled it from the bag when I wasn't looking. I'd been driving, listening to music, admiring the field grasses now purpling at their tips. I'd been noticing twin bright lemon butterflies dancing on air, and I'd been feeling a longing for the connection that these air-dancers seemed to speak of.

My girl read the whole way, sometimes laughing, sometimes pausing to tell me more about some story I'd told (and had only known the half of).

When I pulled into my sister's driveway and turned off the car, my girl didn't move. "We're here," I encouraged her, wanting her to put the book down.

"I'm on the last page," she said.

I waited quietly, looking out into the pines and the wild-flower yard.

"It's not exactly what happened," she said. "But it's perfect."

"I understand," I said. Then I whispered the last line of the book to her and added, "It's for you too, you know, not just for Sonia. It's my love letter to both of you."

She leaned forward and hugged me, and we sat there holding each other for a long moment. My heart, in its way, danced butterfly-bright on air.

Sneaking a Peek at the First Rumors

_____


Available at Amazon Retail.


Floral designs by Sonia, 11. Sara in the car (snapped in transit... I pointed the camera backwards, clicked, and hoped for the best :)

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

You continue to amaze me. Congratulations on the new book.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sweet moment.

1:06 PM  
Blogger diana said...

Lovely. A remarkable affirmation that you tell truth - from someone at the center of it. The book should drop on my doorstep on Tuesday.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Megan Willome said...

"'It's not exactly what happened," she said. "But it's perfect.'"--I love that. But it's also the part of writing that terrifies me.

4:24 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Thanks Maureen, Sam, Diana.

Megan, tell me about that. Are you afraid someone will say, "That's not what happened?"

4:26 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

My husband is always telling me I make stuff up. I just tell him I remember differently. Looking forward to reading this work of love. Thanks for making it available on Kindle.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Monica Sharman said...

Oh, wowwww...
(And the photo turned out perfect, too!)

5:06 PM  
Blogger Mystic_Mom said...

Wonderful story that you shared about something totally wonderful your book! Congratulations, I'm looking forward to reading it!

5:14 PM  
Blogger John said...

She's young to have realized that facts often have little to do with the truth...poetic genes I guess...

Congratulations!

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the joy of your girl reading your book, adding the rest of the story in her mind as she reads. I can't wait to read it myself, imagining the stories you didn't tell!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Karen Kyle Ericson said...

That's lovely. Thanks so much for sharing it.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm out of the loop getting ready to move overseas for a mere four months, and then, there's a new book??!! I kept thinking, I have to check in with L.L. and see what she's up to...wow! And me? thanks for asking;} oh, packing and re-packing and moving from place to place as we go through this nomadic process and eking out a post here and there...but it is my 'high calling' right now and so I *smile* and plug along:}

I want to get 'Rumors' now, but I'm so behind with all of my reading...I best wait and make sure I take a kindle over because it will be so easy to get then and I will need it during cold Eastern European winters... {p.s. I loved what you wrote at the 'Rumors' site about finding the title, but couldn't leave a comment there;}

11:42 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

I'm looking forward to reading it myself:)

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, and for your kind words. Your husband is right for wanting you to taste Switzerland for yourself. It's amazing!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

This story is perfect. And so is the photo. Looks like now you have another proofreader! Sounds like she would do a great job.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Simply Darlene said...

Is a rumor what ya get when fiction and truth collide?

Yeehaw, Congrats & AttaGirl!

Blessings.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

next thing we know, she will be editing your manuscripts.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Bob Gorinski said...

I just finished Seedlings, the book. I'm definitely going for this one, L.L.

God in the Yard still scares me. I'll be compelled to sit for extended periods, early in the a.m. Probably exactly what I need!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Just ordered it!
I will put it on top of my book pile!
Coming to NY in 2 weeks to see The Four Gospels at Mobia!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Just. beautiful.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Patricia said...

your daughter's words were such beautiful affirmation... straight from the heart of God himself. Lovely.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

Waiting for my copy from Amazon. Love that you give us glimpses of your beautiful girls.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Ann Kroeker said...

Well, there you go again, practicing what you preach. Perfectly. :)

Love your writing.

Love your photography.

Love your girls.

Love you.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

This moment with your daughter .... I can't even tell you how beautiful I find this.

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is perfect, isn't it? Congratulations on the publication!

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home