Monday, August 08, 2011

On, In, and Around Mondays: Art is a Touchdown

Times Square NYC

Implicit in any art, says Luci Shaw, is a "certain unpredictability, an element of surprise."

Can a mini-vacation, then, be a form of art?

Maybe. This weekend, we sneaked away to New York City. It is the kind of place where you can lose yourself, let yourself be carried by a certain unpredictability. Make plans, then change them when you see a line with a two-hour wait to view the fashions of Alexander McQueen at the Metropolitan.

Central Park boating

on the HIghline

road on Highline

firebird

This morning I am too tired to do what Luci says art also requires, and that is a gathering of the "watered wrinkles" of time, into "prisms refracting the light."

Perhaps I will wake up by tomorrow. Or the day after. And take you with me to the Russian Tea Room, Central Park, The Highline, or Wicked.

For now, like Glinda, I'm still traveling a bit by bubble. Finding it hard to touch down...

Glinda in Bubble


_____

Over at The High Calling, we're walking beside each other, discussing Luci Shaw's Breath for the Bones: Art, Imagination and Spirit: A Reflection on Creativity and Faith. Want to join us?

_____


On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Shanda said...

You truly made this sound exotic. Now I want to go to NYC!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Shaunie @ Up the Sunbeam said...

"traveling a bit by bubble"--LOVE THIS!! I'm just back from a mini-vacation myself, and I know exactly that feeling!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Violet N. said...

Visiting NYC is on my bucket list. Someday...someday....

I love the image of still being in the bubble of an 'away' place.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Delightful! Glad you clicked your heels and headed home to tell us a bit of your story. :)

I have never been to New York City. Have you been to Iowa? We could tour-guide each other.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

We used to live in New Jersey (Flemington)--just a short train ride from the city. We didn't go as often as we should have, but the times we did were delightful.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Shanda said...

OK...coming back later to see the other photos ;)

7:07 PM  
Blogger a joyful noise said...

Time travel sounds exciting. Count me in the bubble! We were in New York many years ago, and it was awesome then. We were tired when we arrived home, so I understand the feeling after having so much fun.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Lyla Lindquist said...

And here I thought you were going to lift my spirits tying art and football together as I get ready for another round of bleacher work for my boys this fall...

As it is, I'm pretty sure I like your post better without the football. The trip sounds delightful.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home