Monday, December 07, 2009

Snow-White Butterfly Tree

Snow-White Butterfly Tree

Texas had been holding out on us, playing with our snow, while we walked the avenues without need for heavy wools. Then Washington made a bid and the Lone Star State capitulated. Before long, leftovers drifted our way.

So we walked, as the sun went down. And I wished I'd dug out the red woolen hat.

Still, our evening walk was worth braving cold wind and breath caught sharp. For, up the street, we saw it. Japanese Maple, curly branched, was lit with snow that looked like white butterflies, frozen in time, waiting.

And this tree with snow-white butterflies followed me home, wanting to be born into my pastels. As I lay the colors down I thought of special people who have been unexpected encouragements to me... like miniature snow-white butterflies gracing a dry-leafed maple tree.

Thank you Lyla, Ann, Jennifer, Bina, Deb, Ted, Linda for your letters sometimes sent behind the scenes or your comments that have given joy and strength, on bright days and sometimes through storm. I'm so glad you are a part of my blogosphere community.


Snow-White Butterfly Tree, in soft pastels, by L.L. Barkat.

---

Is there someone you would like to thank or celebrate in the blogosphere? Join us for...

Christmas Badge

THE 12 DAYS:
1. Mary's Advent
2. Laura in the Moss
3. Social Media Guys
4. Snow-White Butterfly Tree (this post)

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger katdish said...

That is a fantastic picture! Alas, the snow is but a sweet memory here now. 55 and raining.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Janet Oberholtzer said...

Beautiful painting!
What a great way to continue the beauty of an evening walk.

(sigh) maybe when I grow up, I'll be a painter also.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Maureen said...

Your image and your words: pure poetry. Always.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I just love your pastels. You could be my art teacher too...

Poetry and pastels. You are beautiful, lady.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Love the tree! And there's not so much I wouldn't do for a little snow . . . alas.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Bina said...

I think that is one of my faves of yours...that tree! Gorgeous, my friend, both in color and layout. I stared at it for a long time before I even got to your post! :)

Thank YOU...for opening your heart and your world to me...you are an inspiration to my heart.

Much love and a hope that you enjoy a bit of the snow for me...one whose winters are made up only of rain here in California.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous heather said...

I love this charcoal drawing! The playfulness of it, the whispers of fairies, the music of the wind. Everything magical about winter.

1:14 PM  
Blogger S. Etole said...

You capture such magic with your pastels.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Perfectly perfect, we are finally getting out first light dusting here.
And thank you for the mention. I do hope there is a long stretch of this ahead of us still.
love to you ,
deb

3:31 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I'm sending a thank you back to you L.L. You have been such an inspiration to me. I just sit in awe sometimes.
Your words and your paintings touch something in my heart. Thank you so much for sharing them.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Far Above Rubies said...

Beautiful picture. I did my first community sharing today. Thank you for this great idea.

God bless you.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Love your artistic ability with both words and art. Both are wonderful. God Bless.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Oh L.L.

You art is beautiful. ... And me, as a snow-white butterfly somewhere on those branches? Makes me want to soar on new wings. Makes me feel lighter tonight. Thank you for that sweet gift.

Your words are such an encouragement -- not only today, but every day.

I'm so very grateful for you, your instruction, your leadership at HCB. Thank you...

12:00 AM  
Blogger Kelly Sauer said...

Oh, I think this is my favorite of your paintings so far! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I can just feel it sweeping me away.

6:29 AM  
Anonymous terri said...

Your art is soooo expressive...I don't know where in Texas you are at but we had a little here last week on Wed and it was so beautiful comming down I was wishing we had a little more to play in.

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Lyla Lindquist said...

Not sure whose comment I'd like to cut and paste here... kind of left as I often am here without any of my own. But thank you.

(Not there to scoop my walk, but I hear the snow fell pretty hard in So Dak last night too... Everybody gets a little.)

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Ted M. Gossard said...

Thanks, L.L. It's a privilege to be a part of your blogging community. And I look forward to your next book.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home