Monday, May 17, 2010

Finding Your Words

Wildflower purple blue whit

The poet walks. That's what Julia says. I did not know this is what she says until I got home, from walking. Julia is right. When we walk, we find our words, we find memories we take home in our bodies. These are a few of the memories I now hold...

skunk cabbage

Giant leaves make me feel I am in the rain forest, but this is just a quiet walk in a Northeast wood.


Girl in woods

"There's a circle!" She runs over and sits, telling me it reminds her of Stonehenge. What is it about a circle?


wildflower garden

My Littlest has gone off and found a secret garden. It feels enchanted.


wildflower pink

Mandrake flower bowed

wildflower cornflower

Mandrake flower

Moth on Mandrake

A white moth surprises me when I look again at the photo. I did not know he was there.


field

The green of an open field. It heals without words.


girls in field

My girls know all about what a field can do. See how it animates?


dandelion

The day is like seed upon seed. Who knows where it will drift in memory, and maybe someday in words?


Ward Pound Ridge Reservation photos, by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The photos are amazing. I just want to embrace days like the one you describe. Planting seeds in the memory to recall later. Lovely!

9:26 AM  
Blogger SimplyDarlene said...

L.L., this is just so beautiful! And that white flower with the moth, enchanting. What is it?

Blessings.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Glynn said...

I get animated in fields, too, and do a lot of high-stepping -- thinking I'm better able to avoid our slithering friends that way.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Kathleen Overby said...

Invigorating. Yes.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are circles in several of your photos.

when i was coming back to life with Jesus again, i kept getting thoughts of people in a circle, in a field worshiping God...and church with no pews in straight rows...only circles.

i still wonder about the circle.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I do this,
know this,
and that last line . I don't know how you do that.
But it's written down in my forever now.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

these are beautiful words you have found in this walking. and the memories you share with us here...I feel their rest (and frolic!)

1:00 PM  
Anonymous red or gray art said...

this carried me when I needed it ..thank you ll

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Lyla Lindquist said...

Perfect.

10:10 PM  
Blogger S. Etole said...

Should I be blessed to walk, this would be a healing place to go.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Glynn said...

Here's the link to my ancient poem: http://faithfictionfriends.blogspot.com/2010/05/dionysus.html

11:30 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Overby said...

Ancient RAP http://bit.ly/dh0n6V

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rap of the ancients http://poemsprayers.blogspot.com/2010/05/time.html

3:56 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

A place modern, living the ancient ways, and it reminds me of home.
http://jezamama.blogspot.com/2010/05/pennsylvania-countryside.html

7:46 AM  
Blogger R. Sipes said...

Wow! Springtime in God's great outdoors. Is there anything better except sharing it with someone you love?

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when I was reading her chapter about a writer's date I thought what a nice idea it was. Then I read a blog about dating your husband, and spending one-on-one time with your kids, and going out by yourself for time alone, and making sure to make time for your friends, and I decided my life is ridiculous. ;)

My RAP poem is up here: http://wp.me/pSp5E-2t

11:52 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Cave Story:
http://writingwithoutpaper.blogspot.com/2010/05/cave-story-poem.html

7:40 AM  
Blogger Cassandra Frear said...

A day can be a seed. I'm planting today, for the future. :-)

10:25 AM  
Blogger SimplyDarlene said...

really real to me

http://aspiretoleadaquietlife.blogspot.com/2010/05/really-real-to-me.html

blessings

11:18 AM  
Blogger Kelly Sauer said...

you never know when the memories come to words, do you?

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home