Thursday, September 07, 2006

Retreat into Laughter

Today, I feel like this cider bottle, hovering amidst these startled birds... displaced, misplaced, up-in-the-air.

I am not in the mood to write anything. But I'm in the mood to laugh. (Okay, I am always, always in the mood to laugh...)

Anyway, here's my suggestion, if you want to retreat into laughter with me...

Stuff Lust

Unretouched photograph, by Andrew Denny. Used with permission.


Blogger Mark Goodyear said...

What a great photo! You have so many great links to visual artists here. Thanks for the resource.

I'd bet you would love the retreat center I work for in the Texas Hill Country (Laity Lodge)--though we are a long way from New York. We have a center for the arts where you would just fit right in. A little over a year ago, our art director brought an exhibit of John Cobb's Tabernacle that must be one of the most beautiful special exhibits I have ever seen. If you ever have a chance to see his work, do.

I really like Fujimura too. He has a great chapter in Square Halo Books' It Was Good.

Since you shared a book, I thought I'd share one. You like Anne Lamott, so I assume you like Annie Dillard. But just in case. If you haven't read The Writing Life run to a bookstore to get it!

11:49 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

I bet I would love a retreat, period! Of course, I would probably love your retreat center, too. I will keep it in mind if I ever speak in your area.

Also, I will check out the book It Was Good... and I do love Annie Dillard... The Writing Life has been particularly helpful to me right now, as I'm busy tapping the walls of my manuscript with my little editing hammer. :)

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home