Thursday, September 28, 2006

Measure Twice

Carpenters have this little saying, "Measure twice; cut once."

The guy who originally turned that phrase must have had a few odd-sized pieces of wood in his garage...from the times he went too fast, forgot to or refused to set out his tape measure that second time.

I know I am a measure-once person...I learned to think fast, to make snap decisions as a child, to try to save myself from certain danger and sorrow that drifted through my household like an eternal fog.

But Proverbs 19:2 urges me to grow past that now... "Desire without knowledge is not good, and one who moves too hurriedly misses the way..." Measure twice; cut once. It's more work. It's not how I learned to face my days. But it's a good idea if I want to build things in life that stand straight...or keep my "garage" a little more free of those odd-sized pieces of wood...

3 Comments:

Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

And your husband? What's he gonna do with all that wood? :)

5:26 PM  
Blogger Martin Stickland said...

Hello!

Thanks for saying you like the photos on my blog and I love your blog too!

Are they paintings that you have done in some of the photos here? if so, I love them.

I measure about ten times, re check, measure again, cut, go to fit the piece of wood then scream becasue it is too short. My mind is always on other things.

Thanks for the kind words and seee you soon!

Byeee!

PS Hey! I see Mandy has popped by, she's a good old girl!

5:59 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

The paintings are by artists who are interested in collaborating with me on the blog, through their visual art talent (so, that's open to you too)... some are photos or collage ... my own art background is in graphic design, so...

I just paint with words.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home