Thursday, September 14, 2006

Paul's Anxiety in Texas

So, I'm reading the Holy Book, and my mind plays this little trick. Seems to be jackpot week for my mind, on this count.

There's this little heading in the text that says, "Paul's Anxiety in Troas." But I read, "Paul's Anxiety in Texas."

Gosh, Paul went to Texas? When did that happen? My brain stays a minute longer, has a little fun with this... maybe Paul was anxious about bumping into the President, or maybe there were too many Big Burger Stands. (Sorry, my Texas friends... I can't help what my brain does.)

When I stop chuckling, I consider that Paul stood boldly before kings, that he didn't mince words about food issues (or any other issue). Yet I'm secretly comforted that he had anxieties... even if it was in Troas, not in Texas.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I'm the same way. It give me great comfort knowing that these were ordinary people that God used for great things. I like to know I'm not the only one who stumbles and falls.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Mark Goodyear said...

It is so easy to read Paul's confident letters and think he was that inspired and polished and confident all the time. I love the way you share how playful Bible study and reflection can be!

(And for the record, I love the big burger stands. Whataburger is a Texas institution. We even have a chain here called Fat Burger--though I think that comes from California.)

11:36 AM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

L.L.
Yeah. Paul stood before kings, but as he said, it was not him at work really, but the grace of God at work in and through him. So with us. Even if in Texas (ha).

10:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

He might worry about road rage or traffic or construction, in Texas too. Or the heat and humidity and violent rainstorms. But he would be comforted by the church on every corner.

Fatburger--I remember that from my college days. I wonder if Mark is an Aggie. That's the only place I ever saw them in Texas. Sonic--that's the Texas burger I miss most (which may or may not be from Texas, but we sure had a lot of them, and none here in CT).

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home