Monday, September 05, 2011

On, In, and Around Mondays: Is Your Mind Full?

Pastis, NYC

What does it mean to be Mindful? (My mind is always full, it seems. Does this count? :)

Maybe it is the ability to dream beyond what seems possible....

Alien silhouette

Or maybe it is a willingness to take in new information, to change even a lifetime of habits when we see the potential benefits...

Alien at the Book Pile

Perhaps it is the openness to change one's posture—mentally, physically, or spiritually...

Alien at Table

I'm excited about the potential answers to the question, "What is Mindfulness?" I'm pleased that The High Calling is going to explore this topic through Ellen J. Langer's book Mindfulness. Join us? :)


Alien Sculpture and photos by Sonia, 12. :) Used with permission.

________

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I love that alien sculpture! It just makes me smile. I'm excited about this book too. I'm not quite done with the reading, am looking forward to those latter chapters on health and aging. I think it's going to be a good one.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Megan Willome said...

Awesome alien. I'm working on a satiric column about an alien invasion. The transformation is almost complete.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Reflections said...

Wonderful little creature he is!

Ah yes, mindfullness... great thoughts to ponder! Maybe I'll give it a bit of thought as well.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Patricia said...

don't we all have little green monsters somewhere... =) I loved the randomness that kids bring into our lives. The book sounds interesting... I'll have to take a look.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Nancy Kelly said...

Interesting! The theme of our education retreat this year was "The Art of Mindfulness" and we explored some aspects of this. I will follow along...

Sursum Corda,
Nancy

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rifiei am starting to wonder if simply linked is better than mr. linky.

have a grand monday, and the book sounds good.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Bethe77 said...

I love your little alien creature!
Mindfulness
Bioy I think I have a lot to learn on that!
I think there is always room to grow.
Blessings

4:02 PM  
Anonymous kendal said...

love that creature! the book study sounds interesting.

4:11 PM  
Blogger a joyful noise said...

To be mindful is to be aware and often to think about what was presented to us. To even mutter to ourselves about it turning it over as a meditation. I liked your little man who did an about face with its life. This is true repentenance.

Oh yes, I was able to link up today, but in the past I had trouble. Thanks for hosting your Seedlings in Stone.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

Blessings on you, L. L. May God keep you ever mindful of Himself, and allow your mind to dwell with delight on the things you have to do and the interactions with family, friends, and others.

6:25 PM  
Blogger David Rupert said...

That's not an alien.
That's my brother and he needs to come home.
My address is attached.


ON to mindfulness. I think this is something missing in modern-day christianity. We dont ingest Christ into our thinking. Instead we are all about the Christ-doing. But really, the heart and the soul are driven by the mind.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

Ah, so many books, so little time (and money :). Waiting for my copy of Rumors of Water to arrive...

David's brother, huh?!

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mind full.... I think its more of a problem then anything.. as I found out this morning...
Mind's so full we have no room to carry anything else. I.e. ...what God has for us.
~~~~~~
Then there is the other type... the one word instead of two... and that is nearly the opposite of the other. IT's when we are allowing a letting go (an emptying) because we understand we are to be receiving something bigger and better.

or maybe that is just me... since , like I said... sort of the theme of my morning... not surprised to come here and think about it some more.
smells like God.
T

11:41 AM  
Blogger Mommy Emily said...

mindfulness... thoughtfulness. the ability to lose oneself in an idea, to submit to a concept, to surrender to a vision? thank you for making me think today laura.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

Will this help me find my mind?

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home