Monday, December 14, 2009

Two in One Writing

New World Trade Tower, by Sara

The twin realities of suffering and life.

In her IAM Conversations podcast, Christy Tennant asked me to talk about the way my writing weaves these themes together. Upon introducing the question, she referred to a poem I'd written for someone it turns out is a mutual friend of Christy's and mine. Small, small world.

Anyhow, I'm not sure I answered Christy's question. But I remember talking about a Walter Wangerin essay, in which he realized that the good-evil construction of fairy tales did this for him... enabled him to somehow live with the tensions of wickedness and loveliness (in Wangerin's case, as they existed in his own mother— violent by day and tender when she tucked him in at night).

InsideOut has its share of such twin-themed poems, especially in the Winter section. But it's got a good dose of love and whimsy too. After all, Spring and Summer asked for them.


New 'World Trade Center' design, by Sara. Used with permission.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Glynn said...

Read InsideOut! It's great! (from someone who's now read it twice and is going back over selected poems)

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Maureen said...

I just finished listening to the podcast, Laura. Makes me wish I was still doing live interviews. Re-thinking some of my questions for my non-live interview with you.

I particularly like what you said about your daughters' creativity, that is it "born in those quiet moments".

8:26 PM  
Blogger S. Etole said...

Looking forward to reading your book.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

To Sara,
THAT is a cool photograph!!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Ann Kroeker/Not So Fast said...

At some point on your blog(s) you've probably told readers how you're teaching art to your beautiful girls. If not, please reveal your method and/or curriculum!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

I have enjoyed their artwork as well.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home